Thursday 23 August 2007

Calibration of the Sun Wireless Toolkit

Background
In my last post, I explained how to calibrate the Sun Wireless Toolkit emulator against a given MIDlet market share.

In this post I show provide simple calibration results from the Sun Wireless Tookit 2.2.

Results
The plot shows how the JBenchmark 2 score changes with VM execution speed for an emulated heap of 1MB.


The first thing to note is that, for an emulated speed of 1000 bytecode instructions/second, the JB2 score is only 120. This means that the toolkit can only provide accurate emulation of approximately 45% of the MIDP 2 terminals on the market today.

Next Steps
The graph, above, needs a whole lot more data points to be useful. The results are taken from a single PCs. It is not clear to me whether results differ on different PCs.

Thanks to Doug Wright at uiActive who actually ran the tests - my PC is still rather sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment